Friday, August 14, 2009

Eleven:Fourteen - I'm Soooo Tired...

...I haven't slept a wink (John Lennon, The White Album by The Beatles)


Tires, Phoenix, AZ, 2009 by Richard M. Coda

I haven't slept a wink since I printed this new 11x14" negative!

I saw this on one of my Sunday morning photo runs a couple of months ago. I had passed it one morning but did not have the 11x14" camera with me. Went back the next weekend with a friend and photographed it.

As soon as I saw it I knew it had to be taken on the 11x14. It was a wall of old tires, about 10 feet tall and maybe 150 feet long, lining an alley near Broadway and 7th Street in Phoenix. I found the lines fascinating. And the deep, dark tones highlighted by the faded rubber and occasional white paint sealed the deal.

The detail in this simple image is amazing. 154 square inches of film (assuming a native film resolution of 5000 dpi) means that there's 3.85 GIGABYTES of information in an 11x14 negative. This little digicam snap of the print does not do it justice.

I'm finding that size DOES count. After using my 4x5" most of the time from the early 1980s until a few years ago, I had recently standardized on 8x10". Since getting the 11x14" camera I find I want to use it most of the time, but economics dictate otherwise!

I'll have another new 11x14" contact print to post this weekend as part of another Inspirations post.

No comments: