Thursday, October 21, 2010

Inspirations #26: The Hubble Space Telescope


Primordial 2827, 2006 by Richard M. Coda

Maybe I should credit the Cosmos, the Universe, or God for this one, but the Hubble Space Telescope is the vehicle to the stars.

I have always been fascinated by clouds, as I'm sure most people have been at one point in their life. As children we see bunny rabbits in them, maybe Abraham Lincoln's profile or an alligator. As I got older, though, I started to think more metaphysically about what I was looking at. Was I witnessing Creation itself? Or possibly the Apocalypse? Whatever it was that I was witnessing was drop-dead beautiful.


The Pillars of Creation, Hubble Space Telescope


Primordial 4245, 2010 by Richard M. Coda


M17 - Omega Nebula, Hubble Space Telescope


Primordial 2878, 2006 by Richard M. Coda


PS16 Orion Nebula, Hubble Space Telescope


Primordial 4148, 2010 by Richard M. Coda

In the past 5 years I have taken few cloud images because I was too busy. When I lived in New Jersey these types of skies were rare, but again, I was too busy. This year I am still too busy, but something clicked in me to take 15 minutes at the end of my day and hunt for clouds. Almost all of these were taken from either my back yard or my front yard, occasionally a hundred feet or so down the road… but never far. That is one of the things I love about this series. And the Arizona skies are a far cry from those in New Jersey. They are dramatic and sometimes you can see for 50 or more miles (try that in Jersey).

Anyway, every day now I am on the prowl. I am in the process of editing these down to a portfolio of 10-15 prints and am working on a book/print package. I may do one every year because the subject matter is endless and never the same.

No comments: