Friday, September 9, 2011

10 Years Gone...

September 11 World Trade Center Memorial, Freehold, NJ, Nov. 9, 2002

Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes
Rivers always reach the sea
Flyin' skys of fortune, each have separate ways
On the wings of maybe, downy birds of prey
Kind of makes me feel sometimes, didn't have to go
But as the eagle leaves the nest, it's got so far to go


From one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs, "Ten Years Gone".

It is hard to believe that it was 10 years ago that America was attacked. I remember that day as if it were yesterday. I remember my little girl had just turned 7... this week she just turned 17. She's a senior in high school now with college next year. A beautiful young lady, with amazing talent and compassion. A lot has happened in these 10 years, but a lot has not changed either. I won't get into politics here, but there is a lot still to be done.

I was going through some old photograph files and came across these. I had almost forgotten I had taken them. On November 9, 2002 we had gone to the Freehold, NJ September 11th Memorial. It is a beautiful monument. Scale replicas of the Trade Center towers made of granite. I remember it being odd that there was no one else there, even only 14 months after the attacks.





I also remember making some photographs on one of our frequent trips into New York with my college roommate, Steve Alex. These are from 35mm black and white film.



I wish we could all go back to September 10, 2001, but as we all know, that is not possible. So we must push onward, trying to make the world a safer, better place for our children, if that is even possible anymore.

No comments: