Saturday, November 8, 2008

Observations on Observations...


Yesterday was the artist's reception for my show at the Photomark Gallery.

The turnout was fairly good... mostly friends from Rod Klukas' large format class, and a few other folks I had not met before. I had some interesting conversations, including one with Don Bierman, who was a staff photographer with the Chicago Tribune for 40 years. He offered insight into how photography has changed in that time, especially journalistic photography.

In addition, we had a surprise visit by our friend, Kim Weston. He is in town until Sunday and stopped by with Randy Efros, Juan Garcia and Frank Ayala.

Kim Weston and I discuss the "Kelp" image, which was made at one of his workshops.

I had several older (1980s) pieces in the show from the Carmel/Big Sur area and Kim and I reminisced about how some of those locations are dramatically different today. Kim had some kind words for my work, and I thank him for the encouragement.

Based on feedback from visitors, the favorite images seem to be "Kelp", the "Barber Shop" and "Whaler's Cove".

Kim Weston critiques "Foundation, Paterson, NJ, 1983".

I have developed several new images from my recent trip to Los Angeles this week. As soon as I can scan the negatives and chromes I will post them here. Included are the Disney Concert Hall, Salton Sea and an abandoned gas station in Desert Center. I am very excited about these images and can't wait to print them.

No comments: