Tuesday, April 21, 2009

2 Years in the Making...



As Tom Petty said, "The Waiting is the hardest part."

I have wanted to take this photo for almost 2 years now. It is on the corner of 32nd St. and Oak St. in Phoenix. Usually, the sun is not right or too harsh and it washes the colors out. Or, they would have "Corona" Beer banners plastered all over it.

Two Saturdays ago everything was perfect. I was in the area because I took my daughter to her painting class. It was raining lightly. And there were no ugly banners in place. I drove by but it was raining into where I would have my lens pointing. So I drove around some more, got a cup of coffee, went to see Rod. An hour and a half later the rain stopped and it was still overcast. Perfect for color! I drove back, set up the 4x5" camera and made the exposure in less than 10 minutes.

I love this image... it has so many colors in it and they are all very strong. And the cow makes the image. I can't wait to see it printed large.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you shoot it with? Which film, I mean?

Anonymous said...

Very much worth the wait! Great image. I can see this hanging in a gallery or someone's SoHo's loft.

~ Mark

rcoda said...

Chris:

I used 4x5" Fuji Velvia 50.

Chris Klug said...

Oh man, 4x5 Fuji Velvia. Can you hear me salivate?