Sunday, January 24, 2010

Oranges, Poranges, Who Cares?


Orange Trees, Phoenix, AZ, 2010 by Richard M. Coda

OK, I may have just dated myself... that's from a silly song from an even sillier children's show from the late 1960s-early 1970s... H.R. Pufnstuf.

Anyway, every quarter we have a "theme" night at our Imageworks meetings. It's designed to get members out photographing for more than their six required large format images each year. The theme for our March meetings is "Orange" (the fruit, not the color). I would definitely not have any problems with the color... there's so much of it in the ethnic parts of Phoenix. But, there are also tons of orange trees (and other citrus) here in the valley.

As soon as I heard the theme I immediately knew where I would photograph. I also knew what type of day I needed to get what I wanted... overcast and early, just after sunrise. As it turned out, I got lucky. Two weekends ago it was supposed to be cloudy on Sunday morning. I packed up the car Saturday night, got up at 5:00 AM and was out the door at 5:30. I was at my "secret" location by 6:30 after a quick stop at Dunkin Donuts for a cup of coffee. No one knows where this location is... because they pass right by it every day. It's on 40th Street between Campbell and Indian School.

I love the symmetry and the delicate wall background color against the brilliant white tree trunks. Topped off with green leaves and... oranges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's very beauty

www.flickr.com/fiorenero