Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Inspirations #25: Ansel Adams, Riverside


Seven Springs, AZ, 2010 by Richard M. Coda

OK, since attending the Ansel Adams preview last week I have him on the brain. There were many wonderful prints of both his well-known and not-so-well-known images. Two of my favorites are Merced River, Cliffs, Autumn, 1939 and Tenaya Creek, Dogwood, Rain, 1948. There were several prints of each at the show.


Merced River, Cliffs, Autumn, 1939 by Ansel Adams


Tenaya Creek, Dogwood, Rain, 1948 by Ansel Adams

On my recent field trip with John Prouty and Juan Garcia to the Seven Springs Campground and Tonto National Forest I took the first "landscape" I have taken in a very long time. By landscape I mean something Ansel Adams might have taken. Most of my work in the past five years has been urban in nature, and, as I have stated before, as I approach 50 I find myself being drawn to the comfort of landscapes.

This image was actually my first image of 2010, taken with the 8x10" on TMax 400. Of course, mine is no comparison to Ansel's images but when I saw it I immediately thought of these two images. The more I look at it I wish I had made it a horizontal image. I remember doing that initially and something bothered me so I switched the back to vertical. I just can't remember why... I guess I'll have to go back and photograph it again.