Friday, August 1, 2008

Getting Abstract... Again

No matter what I attempt to photograph, I always seem to come back to abstraction in some form or another. Below are some recent photos from my Flagstaff summer trips and from the Caljet Fuel Tank Farm from last week.

In Flagstaff, my daughter was taking a watercolor class and they had an outing to the Arizona Pioneer Museum. My wife and I tagged along so we could get my daughter some lunch, and take her back to the hotel if she got bored (which she did). Anyway, the Coconino Center for the Arts is right next door. They have a handicapped ramp that looked very interesting. I used a long lens (450mm) on the 4x5 to compress the space even more and create this bizarre collection of lines.



From the Caljet facility, I was drawn to the unfinished tanks, especially the details and juxtaposition between the rusted and unrusted portions. I would call these "industrial abstracts" and I am very pleased with them. I would like to do more in this style.



Also from the Caljet facility is a 4x5 shadow abstract. The steps that wind their way up and around the tanks created very strong shadows in the early morning. I'll be posting more of these soon.

1 comment:

Stacey Snacks said...

Rich,
These are beautiful. They remind me of the French industrialist photos of the 1920's. Gorgeous.