Monday, December 28, 2009

Inspirations #22: Ansel Adams "Redwoods"

Redwoods are hard... oh, and hard to photograph, too.

It is very hard to find a place where you can get far away enough to encompass the sheer size of a redwood. Ansel Adams was able to find such a place in the Humboldt Redwoods State Park in northwestern California.


Redwoods, Bull Flat Creek, CA, 1960 by Ansel Adams

I was not as fortunate to have the time and resources to travel all over California, so instead, during a 1987 trip to Carmel, I finally had the right lighting conditions to photograph this stand of Eucalyptus trees at the junction of Palo Colorado Rd. and Hwy 1 in Big Sur. These trees are beautiful and fragrant, but no match for coast Redwoods.


Highway 1 and Palo Colorado Rd., Big Sur, CA, 1987, by Richard M. Coda

Many people drive past this stand of trees every year, but few, if any, stop to appreciate their simple beauty. I consider myself lucky to have been one of the few.

My first attempt to photograph a redwood resulted (IMHO) in a mediocre image. Others have told me they like this image but I just think that it doesn't "feel" like an image of the greatest [size] of all Flora.


Redwood, Big Basin State Park, CA, 1987 by Richard M. Coda

No comments: