Saturday, December 26, 2009

Post Christmas Observation


Jesus for Sale, 2009 by Richard M. Coda

I took my daughter out to the "Town Dump" in Cave Creek today so she could photograph some "western" stuff to use in one of her paintings. The Town Dump is a touristy, kitschy, western themed curio shop. Lots of rusted sculptures, old sewing machines, Mexican wooden doors, cow skulls... you name it. Visually very interesting. They have these little niches where they have items displayed... some are "themed" some are totally not related to each other. In one of these niches I found this. For some reason this image disturbed me quite a bit... almost like saying Jesus was for sale... for $28. And, a classic painting like this ending up pasted on some old wood almost made me cry. Another affront to Christianity, I guess. Kind of reminds me of my Salton Alien image. I think I'll have to go back and see if I can photograph it with the big cameras.

No comments: